PSE&G Offers Tips to Prepare for Summer and High Heat Days
Today is National Heat Awareness Day
(NEWARK, N.J. – May 28, 2021) Today is National Heat Awareness Day. PSE&G, New Jersey’s largest utility, is reminding customers to prepare for high heat days as the summer approaches. PSE&G is prepared to meet the increased electrical demand that high temperatures bring.
“Summertime in New Jersey is hot and humid and we’re encouraging customers to prepare now for the many issues high heat can cause,” said Jack Bridges, PSE&G’s vice president – Electric Operations. “PSE&G prepares all year to provide our customers with the best service possible during extreme conditions and we respond to outage events as safely and quickly as possible.”
According to the National Weather Service, “on average, extreme heat has killed more people in the last 10 years than any other weather phenomena.” The NWS encourages people to remember the acronym HEAT – Hydrate. Educate yourself. Act quickly. Take it easy.
During extreme heat conditions, customers should:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Take precautions such as not wearing dark colors. Know the signs of heat illness.
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles. Act quickly if someone exhibits heat illness.
- Avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day, generally between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
High electric demand and hurricane season, which starts June 1, can also cause power outages. Customers who rely on electricity to support life-sustaining medical equipment should register with PSE&G in advance, and also notify your local police and fire departments. Registration does not guarantee priority power restoration.
PSE&G also reminds customers that hot and sticky weather can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. Customers can save energy and money this summer by following 10 simple tips:
- Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. Better yet, grill outdoors.
- Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
- When washing dishes or clothes, run full loads.
- Wash laundry in cold water.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Don’t cool unused rooms. Close the vents and shut the door.
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. (In hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.)
For more ways to save on summer energy bills, visit pseg.com/summertips.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines, and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. Immediately call 911 to report downed wires or call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit www.pseg.com/life.
- Download the PSE&G mobile app to report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- Register for MyAlerts to receive text notifications at pseg.com/outagecenter.
- Report an outage and receive status updates by texting OUT to 4PSEG (47734). You can also report your outage through our app, website at pseg.com/myaccount or with your voice using the Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant app on your smartphone.
- Follow PSE&G on PSEG on Facebook and Twitter @PSEGdelivers to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm.
- Visit PSE&G’s Outage Map for the latest in outage info, restoration times and crew locations across New Jersey at pseg.com/outagecenter.
- To report an outage by phone, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) or use our web chat feature at pseg.com/myaccount.
Public Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2020, PSE&G was named the most trusted combined gas & electric utility in the East Region, by the Cogent Syndicated Brand Trust Index. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 13 consecutive years (www.pseg.com).
 Amazon, Alexa is a trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates and Google Assistant is a trademark of Google LLC.