Ensuring Reliable Service
If you’re a PSE&G customer, your power stays on 99.99% of the time, with few exceptions.
Outages leave a lasting impression because today’s customers depend on electricity to fuel their lives. When the power does go out – usually due to weather – PSE&G customers on average are restored within 70 minutes, while the national median is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
How are we able to keep the lights on and power your lives?
Customers are at the heart of everything we do.
During the last 10 years, PSE&G invested billions to upgrade and harden our transmission facilities. In the aftermath of historic storms like Hurricane Irene and Superstorm Sandy, through programs like Energy Strong, we also invested in modernizing our technology systems and raising distribution station equipment in flood-prone areas -- all with an eye on maintaining reliability and enhancing the resiliency of our energy system. We worked hard to make it easier for customers to do business with us and stay connected during storms and other events.
We also are working toward realizing our vision of the future, Powering Progress. PSE&G wants to help you use less energy, ensure the energy you use is cleaner and deliver it to you more reliably and resiliently than ever.
Our efforts include:
- Customer communication: Using tools like text alerts, a robust Outage Map, social media and My Account, we strive to ensure customers receive outstanding, two-way communication.
- Dedicated employees: PSE&G crews are in our neighborhoods every single day, no matter the weather, to safely provide you with high-quality service.
- Modern equipment and upgrades: PSE&G reengineered substations to make them more responsive and resilient. We’re one of the nation’s largest investors in modern switchgear.
- Smart grid technology: From utility poles to computer systems and communications networks, we’re adding advanced technology that helps detect power outages, troubleshoot the cause and restore power faster.
- Vegetation management: Falling tree limbs is one of the primary sources of power outages. As part of our prevention efforts, we trim trees along 3,500 miles of distribution power lines per year.
- Inspections: We conduct thorough inspections and tests of our systems throughout the year to detect issues before they result in outages, including the use of infrared and other technology.
- Maintenance: We work year-round to maintain our electric delivery system, which includes 300 substations and more than 14,200 miles of power lines. In particular, to ensure we meet summer demand, we have a checklist of more than 65 activities completed with a focus on operational excellence.
- Environmental care: We work diligently to keep out animals, like squirrels and birds, that can damage equipment and cause outages. We also build habitats and create other safe havens for engendered species because we care about sustainability, our environment and our communities.
- Transmission upgrades: PSE&G also is upgrading its local power system by increasing system capacity and enhancing reliability. PSE&G is replacing many of its 50-plus-year-old 26kV lines and extending 69kV transmission throughout the state. Download PDF