Natural Gas – Reliable & Safe Service
As we work toward realizing our vision of powering a future where people use less energy, and it’s cleaner, safer and delivered more reliably than ever, we know that reliable and safe natural gas service remains important to you.
Whether it’s cooking for your family, running loads of laundry or keeping your home or business warm in the winter, we provide high efficiency options that help meet your needs. You also get great value from our service as PSE&G residential gas rates tend to be the lowest or one of the lowest in the state due, in part, to our work to counter commodity price fluctuations.
Gas service safety is a priority
Customers are at the heart of everything we do. Because natural gas is a regulated fuel that can be dangerous, we adhere to the industry’s strict safety standards. We have 2,500 highly-trained Gas Operations employees who support the infrastructure and are here 24 hours-a-day to respond to natural gas emergencies. We also train and practice for emergencies year round.
We educate the public and encourage you to quickly move away from possible gas leaks and report them immediately so we can respond, along with local police and fire departments when needed.
Upgrades help you, the environment & the economy
Since 2014, we’ve invested billions to upgrade older cast iron or steel pipes and replace them with advanced materials that can also handle lower-carbon fuels, including hydrogen and renewable natural gas (RNG). This modernization reduces leaks, improves safety and allows for higher pressure service to support customer needs.
As of January 2023, we’ve replaced more than 1,500 miles of gas main, reducing methane emissions by approximately 300,000 metric tons CO2e – the equivalent of taking 65,000 cars off the road. The current phase of the Gas System Modernization Program (GSMP), which was recently completed, has reduced methane emissions by approximately 22% compared to 2018 levels.
The updated pipelines are also more reliable. When Tropical Storm Ida caused widespread flooding in September 2021, 90,000 gas customers were spared shutoffs due to our modernizing efforts.
GSMP has sustained a skilled workforce and thousands of jobs, and has the prospect of creating thousands more, which helps boost New Jersey’s economy.
Our efforts include:
- Customer safety: You’ll find us at community events, schools, malls and businesses as we educate the public about what to do when you smell gas. We also run training sessions for local first responders, who count on us to help keep areas safe in emergencies.
- Dedicated employees: PSE&G crews are in your neighborhoods every single day, no matter the weather, to ensure you have safe and reliable service.
- Modern equipment and upgrades: We upgrade our equipment to improve customer service while caring about the planet. Learn about our GSMP phase III proposal.
- Inspections: We conduct thorough inspections and tests of our systems throughout the year to detect issues before they result in leaks or outages, including meter inspections.
- Maintenance: We work year-round to maintain our natural gas delivery system, which includes 56 metering and regulating stations and more than 35,600 miles of gas mains and related equipment. In particular, to ensure we meet winter demand, we prepare by focusing on operational excellence as we complete a checklist of activities.
- Environmental care: We’ve proposed a three-year extension of GSMP that would replace an additional 1,140 miles of aging mains, reduce annual CO2e emissions by approximately 145,000 metric tons and put thousands of people to work. The proposal also includes innovative lower-carbon, natural gas alternative projects, one with renewable natural gas (RNG)and a hydrogen project.