TROPICAL STORM IDA
PSE&G: Storm Update — Sept. 2, 2021 4:00 p.m.
- In the wake of Tropical Storm Ida much of our service territory continues to experience extreme flooding and storm damage, making it difficult for crews to respond to power outages.
- “We continue to work as safely and quickly as possible to address the many challenging conditions caused by Tropical Storm Ida and we understand how difficult this situation is for everyone,” said Jack Bridges, vice president, electric operations. “The safety of our employees and customers remains our highest priority and our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been impacted by this storm.”
- PSE&G reports approximately 20,000 of its 2.3 million electric customers are currently without service. The majority of outages are in Essex, Bergen, Somerset, Union, Mercer and Gloucester counties.
- As of 1 p.m., PSE&G has restored power to approximately 116,000 electric customers.
- Estimated times of restoration have been globally set for 11:30 p.m. Friday for PSE&G customers in Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Hudson, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Somerset and Union counties and 11:30 p.m. Saturday for PSE&G customers in Essex and Passaic counties. As we learn more about the extent of the damage, restoration times will be adjusted. For the most current information, view the outage map.
- Ice/water stations will be provided in the hardest hit areas, including a drive-through location in East Orange scheduled to open tomorrow, Sept. 3, 11 AM to 4 PM, at 44 City Hall Plaza.
- Crews and technicians have been dispatched to hardest hit areas to respond to gas emergencies and shutoff natural gas to flood-impacted areas as needed. Gas crews proactively shutoff gas to several buildings due to flooding and/or building collapse. More than 450 customers were shutoff due to flooding and those proactive shutoffs are expected to climb. Gas service restoration cannot be made until flooding subsides and local municipal inspections are complete.
- More than 1,200 line workers, tree trimmers, surveyors and other utility personnel are dedicated to the restoration effort. We have requested additional support through mutual aid.
- Information about PSE&G’s restoration process is available at https://nj.pseg.com/outageandgasleaks/duringanoutage/powerrestorationprocess.
- PSE&G reminds customers that its crews are unable to work in bucket trucks to make repairs in high winds.
- In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have adapted our storm and safety procedures to follow public health guidelines and industry best practices. We thank our customers for their patience as we operate under these unusual circumstances to safely restore power as quickly as possible.
- Downed wires should always be considered “live.” Stay at least 30 feet away from downed lines, and don’t go near the pole or anything touching the line. Immediately contact PSE&G, at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) via mobile app or our website, to report downed wires and dial 911 if an immediate hazard exists.
- Electric current passes easily through water, so stay away from downed power lines and electrical wires. Don't drive over – and don't stand near – downed power lines.
- Downed lines can potentially be hidden in standing water. If you encounter large pools of standing water, stop, back up and choose another path.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline-powered generators in a garage or any other enclosed space.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, ensure that you alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit www.pseg.com/life.
- Download the PSE&G mobile app to report outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- Register for MyAlerts to receive text notifications at pseg.com/outagecenter.
- Report an outage and receive status updates by texting OUT to 4PSEG (47734). You can also report your outage through our app, website at pseg.com/myaccount or with your voice using the Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant i app on your smartphone.
- Follow PSE&G on PSEG on Facebook and Twitter @PSEGdelivers for updates before, during and after the storm.
- Visit PSE&G’s Outage Map for the latest in outage info, restoration times and crew locations across New Jersey at pseg.com/outagecenter.
- To report an outage by phone, call PSE&G at 1-800-436-PSEG (7734) or use our web chat feature at pseg.com/myaccount.
PSE&GPublic Service Electric & Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability in the Mid-Atlantic region. In 2020, PSE&G was named the most trusted combined gas & electric utility in the East Region, by the Cogent Syndicated Brand Trust Index. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 13 consecutive years
i Amazon, Alexa is a trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates and Google Assistant is a trademark of Google LLC.