PSE&G Prepared for Hot Weather, Expecting High Temperatures to Linger
(NEWARK, N.J. – June 28, 2018) With very high temperatures forecast for the next several days, Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G), New Jersey’s largest utility, is prepared to meet the demand for additional power and utility crews will be ready to respond to service interruptions should they occur.
“If weather predictions hold, our system will be tested during the next two weeks,” said John Latka, PSE&G’s senior vice president for electric and gas. “Our teams in electric and appliance services will be busy and we ask customers for their patience as we respond to all requests as safely and quickly as possible.”
PSE&G also reminds customers that hot and sticky weather can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. Customers can save energy and money this summer by following 10 simple tips:
- Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. Better yet, grill outdoors.
- Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
- When washing dishes or clothes, run full loads.
- Wash laundry in cold water.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Don’t cool unused rooms. Close the vents and shut the door.
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. (in hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.)
To report power outages, call PSE&G’s Customer Service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Also, customers can report outages by logging into their PSE&G account online or by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734). The utility’s mobile-friendly website includes an Outage Map that is updated every 15 minutes and displays the location and status of power outages in PSE&G’s service area.
For more ways to save on summer energy bills, visit https://nj.pseg.com/saveenergyandmoney/energysavingpage/summerenergytips.
# # #
Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest regulated gas and electric delivery utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company.