PSE&G Prepared for Hot Weather
(NEWARK, N.J. – July 17, 2019) With high temperatures forecasted through the weekend, Public Service Electric & Gas, New Jersey’s largest utility, is prepared to meet the demand for additional power and utility crews will be ready to respond to service interruptions should they occur.
“We’re monitoring our system and are staffed and ready to respond to issues as they arise,” said Paul Toscarelli, PSE&G’s emergency preparedness director. “Since last summer, we’ve invested nearly $3 billion in infrastructure improvements, which helps keep the power and your air conditioners on.”
PSE&G prepares year-round for extreme weather to maintain reliable service for our customers. We also encourage customers to monitor the weather and avoid being in extreme heat for lengthy periods.
PSE&G reminds customers that hot and sticky weather can lead to more usage and higher electric bills. Customers can save energy and money this summer by following 10 simple tips:
- Don’t cool an empty house. Set your thermostat higher when you are away.
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping.
- Replace air filters monthly. Dirty filters make your air conditioner work harder.
- Use a microwave or crockpot instead of the oven. Better yet, grill outdoors.
- Operate appliances in the morning or evening when it is cooler outside.
- When washing dishes or clothes, run full loads.
- Wash laundry in cold water.
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun’s heat.
- Don’t cool unused rooms. Close the vents and shut the door.
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning. (In hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward toward the floor.)
For more ways to save on summer energy bills, visit https://nj.pseg.com/saveenergyandmoney/energysavingpage/summerenergytips.
Stay connected with PSE&G:
- Compile a list of emergency phone numbers; include PSE&G Customer Service 1-800-436-PSEG.
- Go to pseg.com/myaccount to sign up to report outages online and to check restoration progress.
- Go to pseg.com/outagecenter to check the “Outage Map,” which is updated every 15 minutes with PSE&G outage information, and to register for MyAlerts to receive text notifications.
- You can report an outage by texting “OUT” to 4PSEG (47734).
- “Like” PSEG on Facebook and follow PSEG on Twitter @PSEGdelivers.
- If you are on life-sustaining medical equipment, ensure that you alert PSE&G in advance and notify your local police and fire departments. For more information, visit pseg.com/life.
# # #
Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving nearly three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability as well as the 2018 Outstanding Customer Reliability Experience Award. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 11 consecutive years.