Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
A Message to Our Customers, Employees and Communities
PSEG remains deeply committed to the health, safety and well-being of our customers, employees and the communities we serve. We know that our customers rely on us to heat their homes and power their lives and businesses, and we are doing our part in fulfilling this commitment.
The following are ways in which we are adjusting our operations in response to the COVID-19 situation:
- Work on Customer Property: All service work on a customer premises will be performed in accordance with safety protocols, including social distancing and proper use of personal protective equipment. In the interest of safety for our associates and customers, we also will be gathering additional information to determine the proper protocol for serving the customer:
- Question 1: Within the last 14 days, has anyone in the residence, location, or establishment been tested and confirmed positive, or screened by a medical professional and presumed positive, for COVID-19?
- Question 2: Within the last 14 days, has anyone in the residence, location, or establishment had close contact with a person who is a suspected, presumed or confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Question 3: Is anyone in the residence, location, or establishment feeling ill in any way? For instance, does anyone in the residence, location, or establishment have any of the following symptoms: A fever? A cough? Shortness of breath?
- Inspections: Notwithstanding the restrictions above regarding working on customer property, PSE&G may perform some inspections. However, customers should contact their local municipal officials for guidance on permits, inspections, and the ability to receive Cut-In Cards, and Certificates of Occupancy, as this will ultimately determine PSE&G's ability to activate and complete new service requests.
- Questions about new service requests can be addressed by contacting our Construction Inquiry Department:
Questions about an existing service request should be directed to the previously assigned project manager, for whom you should already have contact information. Please have your Notification (Job) Number available when contacting.
- Gas and Electric System Upgrades Continue: In an effort to ensure the continued safety and reliability of gas and electric service for our customers, PSE&G is continuing to replace old gas pipes with new piping on many streets and to upgrade our electric transmission and distribution facilities – work that is deemed essential by the state of New Jersey. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, PSE&G workers and PSE&G contractors follow safety protocols guided by the CDC and NJ State Department of Health, as well as all directives from the Governor’s Office and county/municipal governments. This includes that our workers practice social distancing, wear personal protective equipment where appropriate and wear face coverings when they are working within six feet of each other. For their safety and ours, we also ask that our customers maintain a safe distance – six feet or the width of a car – from our crews.
- PSE&G is temporarily closing its customer service centers. The centers closed on March 17. Our employees are available to provide the same excellent level of customer service through alternate means. Customers can engage with us via phone, text, chat, web, our mobile app available on Apple and Android, and Amazon Alexa. The customer service phone line is 800-436-7734.
- PSE&G has suspended shut-offs of electric and/or gas service to residential customers for non-payment. This will give customers experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the outbreak additional time to pay their bills. For more information, visit pseg.com/help.
Online Tools and Resources
- Log into My Account
- Chat or email
- Register for MyAlerts for text and email updates
- Download the free PSE&G mobile app
- Enable our PSE&G Alexa skill and link your account
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
During times of hardship, financial assistance and payment programs are available to help you pay your energy bills. For more information, visit pseg.com/help.
- Public Hearings: The BPU will be conducting all public hearings during this time telephonically. For the details of PSE&G’s upcoming public hearings and the Company’s rate filings visit www.pseg.com/pseandgfilings.
Additional Information For Business Customers
The COVID-19 outbreak has impacted every aspect of society, but we recognize the particular challenges for our business community. Many businesses have had to close and most are struggling with loss of income while trying to meet expenses and plan for recovery. As your trusted energy provider, we will support you throughout this crisis and beyond. Learn how!
In addition to the measures stated above, we are also:
- Practicing the CDC’s social distancing guidelines: During interactions with customers in their homes or businesses, PSE&G is practicing social distancing; and, depending on the situation, PSE&G may determine that additional personal protective equipment (PPE) protocol is warranted for the health and safety of our workers and the customers.
- Wearing face coverings: PSEG now requires the use of face coverings or masks at all times for all employees who aren’t working remotely. This move, commenced in April, does not supersede requirements for PPEs, and is in addition to earlier guidance on staying home when sick, social distancing, hand-washing and other hygiene protocols.
- PSE&G has directed all employees who can work remotely to do so, including the majority of our customer service representatives. Employees can look for updates regarding this and other policies in The Link.
Our priority remains the safety and well-being of our customers, employees and the communities we serve, and our thoughts are with those experiencing difficulty at this time.
For the latest information on the COVID-19, you can follow updates from the CDC and state agencies at the following links:
- CDC COVID-19
- New Jersey Department of Health – COVID-19
- New York State Department of Health – COVID-19
- PSE&G Resuming Work While Continuing COVID-19 Safety Protocols - May 29, 2020
- PSEG Foundation Commits $2.5 Million to Support Medical, Social and Economic Needs of N.J. Communities Amid Devastating COVID-19 Pandemic - April 14, 2020
- PSEG Donates 200,000 Pairs of Gloves to State to Support Response by Healthcare/First Responders During COVID-19 Pandemic - April 8, 2020
- Scams: Another Side Effect of Coronavirus - April 8, 2020
- PSE&G Inspects Power Supply & Equipment to Bolster Reliable Service to Hospitals - April 1, 2020
- PSEG Donates 50,000 N95 Masks to Aid Response by Health Care and First Responders During COVID-19 Pandemic - March 24, 2020
- PSEG Foundation Supports The Community FoodBank of NJ’s Efforts to Reduce Food Insecurity During COVID-19 Outbreak - March 21, 2020
- PSE&G Implements Operational Updates to Continue to Safeguard Customer and Employee Health - March 17, 2020
- PSE&G Temporarily Suspends Shut-offs Due to the Coronavirus Outbreak - March 13, 2020